Sunday, September 18, 2011

Operation Timing

I'm often asked just when my operation is and when I can be visited.  So here are my expectations based on, as a friend wished for me, a 'boring' operation.

Admission: 2pm Wednesday, 21 September
Operation: morning of Thursday, 22 September (I think prep starts around 6am)
Move to ward: Friday, 23 September

The operation would take 2-3 hours if it were through the breastbone.  The surgeon (Mr Aubrey Almeida) says that it takes him another 20 mins for minimally invasive (robotic).  I expect it takes longer because the access isn't as easy.  Breastbone or robotic, it's still open heart surgery.

Assuming it all works out for minimally invasive, I will be in hospital for 4-5 days post-op and I think I won't be signed off to fly back to Queensland for another 2 days.  I won't be allowed to drive for 2 weeks and many people are back up to full speed in 4 weeks (in which case my income protection insurance won't even kick in since it has a 1 month waiting period).

However, if they find they can't do minimally invasive, but instead have to go through the breastbone, I will be in hospital for 1 week post-op, will not be allowed to drive for at least 5 weeks and could expect to be back to full speed in around 3 months.

Of course, for all these figures, it's a case of "your mileage may vary" as Ian would put it.

At this stage I expect those in Melbourne will be able to visit on Friday.  Best to check with Ian or the hospital (Epworth Private, Richmond - 89 Bridge Road, Richmond Vic 3121; Phone 03 9426 6666) as I don't know when visiting hours are.

Cheers,
Laetitia

3 comments:

  1. Dear Laetitia, I just figured out the time difference and will be asleep while they are treating you, but I hope my sweet dreams will send some good energy your way. Best of luck to you and strength to Ian while Laetitia is with the doctors!

    -ninakk-

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be in my heart and on my mind, Laetitia! Blessings!

    Claycat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ninakk & Claycat. Claycat - I'll pray that Texas gets soaking but not flooding rains.

    ReplyDelete